17 Divas : Dish about Celebrity, Reality TV, Entertainment & More!

Read our rants on reality tv, celebreality, celebrity, entertainment, movies, television, pop culture, fashion and other snarky tid-bits.

Photobucket

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A night of yawns and chills (the icky chills, not the good Idol chills)

Long time no blog! But, what can I say, American Idol just brings out my urges to wax poetic and/or rant uncontrollably! Yes, divas, it is the swollen-with-child Diva!

What is up this season? These contestants have had five seasons to study and learn what works and what doesn't. And yet...here we are, watching the biggest yawn-fest yet. At the very least, does no one remember the sad fate of poor Bobby Bennett, who sang Copa for his dead grandma last season?? Learn from the mistakes of past Idols, oh young ones, (yes, Sanjaya, I'm talking to YOU), if your dead grandparent would love it, America probably won't.

Ok, ok, maybe I'm being harsh, I did get a few moments of joy last week watching the girls. But the boys??? Even this week, there's no other way to say it- they sucked. They were WORLDS better than last week, but overall, they still sucked.

My take on the evening:

I was most impressed with curly-haired Chris and the return of Sundance! Was I the only one so shallow as to be shocked beyond belief by Chris's hottie of a wife??? His performance wasn't one of those great "Idol Moments"- but after last week, it was enough.
And Sundance! I'm glad he was given a second and third chance to prove himself, because there's something special about this guy. Which is a helluva lot more than I can say about most of the other contestants. He also gets credit for not falling into the trap of picking a bad song to go along with the dedication theme.
Who else? Who else? This is how snooze-worthy these guys are, I have to struggle to recall who even sang! Beat Box Boy was solid again. I look forward to seeing what he's capable of. I don't really like beat boxing, but, I'll give him credit, his performances have been very good.
Also not a fan of A.J., but major props to him for really giving it his all last night and doing a great job. The judges gave him a raw deal, though. He totally kicked ass last night, and they didn't give him enough credit for it.


The yawns: I'm in total agreement with the judges and my earlier Diva on Nick. His voice has an incredible tone, but I'm tired of waiting for him to get himself together. He tried this last year, studied how to get back on, and for what?? Did he even THINK about what to do once he made the top 24?? Great song choice last night, but it fell flat, he lacked all passion- which is all that song is about. And when Simon is commenting on a man's clothes AND everyone agrees, you've got problems.
Jared. DH thinks he will stick around due to the Ace Young Factor (ie, he's hot), but I'm not so sure. Should I be worried that my husband has a stronger opinion than I do on which guys are hot??
More yawns for the boy bander with the Geek song. I was pretty in sync with the judges last night, but I didn't get the raves on this one.
And I can't believe it, but I have to admit, my early fave, Brandon, was a bit snooze-inducing last night, too. I hope he stays another week and finds himself. But I did enjoy Simon mocking him, he deserved it. Oh, and see the aforementioned dead-grandparent rule.

The chills: Phil "I'm liking you less and less" Stacy- 5 seconds in, I turned to DH and yawned, saying "karaoke- good karaoke, but still just karaoke." Not 2 minutes later, Simon said the same thing- great minds think alike. Nice voice, but boring, and I'm finding him oddly creepy.
And, of course, the biggest creep factor of all Idol time goes to Sanjaya. What the hell was that?? This took bad song choice to another level. Again, I was psychotically linked to a judge on this one- I told DH this performance was like some freaky high school talent show audition. But Simon was even more right, it was like some horrible embarrassing child-on-display thing. Just awful and scary. Is he, um, "special"??? Or do he and his sister share a brain, and it was her turn last night? Is she trying to sabotage him for making it this far??

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tonight. But overall, I'm really shocked by the not-specialness of so many of the contestants. The girls had some stand-outs last week, but let's not forget we also had Amy, Haley, Nicole and Leslie all try to put us to sleep. Antonella sucked so much, but at least she was MEMORABLE!!

Ok, I'm going to go have some Indian food and hope it puts me in a more hopeful Idol mood!

Swollen Diva- OUT!

Technorati Tags: , , ,
, , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home