17 Divas : Dish about Celebrity, Reality TV, Entertainment & More!

Read our rants on reality tv, celebreality, celebrity, entertainment, movies, television, pop culture, fashion and other snarky tid-bits.

Photobucket

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Honey She's Home, and She Had a Bad Day

I hate to disagree with a fellow diva, but I feel compelled to defend last night's departure of our favorite EveryWoman. How better to do so than with a Shania -titled-tribute.

Song choice, as Simon Says (another funny!), is CRITICAL. Mandisa, despite a powerful opening, demonstrated very poor song selection. She chose a song this week that didn't really allow her to be the powerhouse she is. She should have been thinking more along the lines of a Faith Hill power-ballad (except for Breathe, which would have resulted in me carving my heart out with a spoon) or Jodie Messina / Dixie Chicks for sassy but strong vocals.

Not to mention the week before, when she selected a little known gospel number that works only because it was a duet by two sisters who sound a lot like Mary J. Blige. Only she didn't sound that way, and she didn't sound like herself. And yes, I may be the only person who had ever heard Wanna Praise You (it came on a free cd I got once at a golf-themed party). And I think the song is actually titled "Chains" (wanna praise you is the subtitle that follows in parentheses). The religious right may be able to put a body in the Oval Office, but they clearly have no hold on AI (probably b/c it is shown on the devil's tool, tv).

Don't get me wrong, Iwill miss her. And it was really hard to see her cry. But I have a feeling she is a few steps closer to her personal goal: "to meet and be on Oprah." I might even buy an O magazine that features Mandisa on the cover. So long as it doesn't play "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter when I open it.

-- 201 Diva 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home